Call of Duty: Modern Warfare’s latest update dropped at a weird time. It is the last patch of the year, dropping on New Year’s Eve. It isn’t quite as big as some previous updates like the one that brought in the Season 1 Battle Pass. However, there are some major changes you should be aware of if you want to keep playing your best at the game. These Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Dec 31 Patch Notes cover the changes made.
Call of Duty has an awful lot of game modes, and options for messing with your loadout, like Gunsmith, weapons, killstreaks, and perks. Because of this, small changes have quite a big impact on balancing. Thankfully, this latest update hasn’t messed up the balance of the game. Instead, we’re getting a late Christmas present of a brand new game mode. This isn’t entirely free though since it is coming at the expense of an old mode. These are all of the changes in the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Dec 31 patch notes, and how this new game mode works!
Grind is the brand new game mode that has come with the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Dec 31 Patch. This game mode is actually going to take the place of the Drop Zone. It isn’t an entirely unique mode though. The majority of the tips and tricks that work for Kill Confirmed can be applied to Grind, so you only really need to know about the differences between the two. This is how Grind works:
- Works Similarly to Kill Confirmed – Players are on teams to eliminate each other. However, you don’t just get points for kills. You have to follow up on a kill to actually get the points.
- Enemies Drop Tags – You can collect these tags, and when your team dies you can defend a tag to prevent the enemy team actually receiving credit for it.
- Players Have to Take the Tags to an Objective – Unlike in Kill Confirmed, players have to actually transport the tags. You need to take them to an objective zone on the map to actually get some points.
- The Objective Zone Moves – This area on the map rotates around and doesn’t stay still for very long. This keeps things mobile and occasionally makes it more worthwhile to wait out a location that to try and move towards it.
- You Can Collect Multiple Tags – As you carry around tags, you can collect more. When you finally hand them all in you’ll get points for all of them.
- You Drop Other Tags – If you’re killed holding extra tags, you’ll drop all of them when you die. This means enemies can take a real lead by eliminating someone who has been hoarding their tags.
That’s the basics of Grind. It is a fun twist on Kill Confirmed that adds some extra strategy to the game.
Other Modern Warfare Dec 31 Patch Changes
This is a relatively small patch. However, as well as adding in the interesting Grind game mode, a couple of other playlist adjustments have been made with the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Dec 31 Patch.
- Shoot the Ship – This has been removed from the game for the time being.
- Shoot House 24/7 – This is back! The fan-favorite mode is back in the playlist, replacing Shoot the Ship.
- Snowfight – This is gone. This isn’t a major surprise though, given that it was clearly a holiday-themed event. While it isn’t quite as much of a novelty as Apex Legends’ or Fortnite’s holiday events, Snowfight was fun while it lasted.
Those are all the real changes made in the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Dec 31st update. If you’re still progressing through the Battle Pass, then checking out our key tips and tricks along with the settings of pro players and streamers might give you the advantage you need.