Valorant is a complex game that takes a bit of getting used too. If you’ve been lucky enough to get into the Beta, you’ll want to be playing at your best. To do that, you need to be using the right agent and weapons, but you also need to know the core mechanics. On the surface, Valorant has a lot of resemblance to Overwatch, but its gunplay is straight out of CS: GO. This can make it a bit difficult for newcomers, even those skilled at other first-person shooters. These Valorant tips and tricks will help you get up to speed and start playing better in every game.
In a game with various characters and different ways for everyone to attack, it isn’t enough to know your own agent. You’ll need great knowledge of how everything in the game functions. This can help you stay aware of what is happening and anticipate what enemy agents are going to do next. These Valorant tips and tricks will show you everything you need to start winning more rounds in Valorant.
Valorant Tips and Tricks
These are some general Valorant tips and tricks, to help you with the basis of the game:
- There are four types of Agents; Sentinel, initiator, Control, and Duellist
- Sentinel are defensive agents. Their abilities allow them to defend their teams and support them.
- Initiators are more strategic offensive agents. They can use their abilities to push at players from different angles to change the nature of a gunfight and get control back to your team.
- Controller – These are based on zoning and moving the gunfight or line of sight to lock down an area for your team.
- Duellists – These are the outwardly offensive players. In Valorant, in this means they’re great at fragging out opponents then pushing in for some eliminations.
- You should aim to know the abilities of all of the agents, not just the ones you’re using.
- Always think about what abilities the enemy team could be used to try and anticipate their movements.
- Knowing which roles an enemy team is playing will help you see blind spots. If their team isn’t balanced, you can take advantage of it.
- Your team should try to be as balanced as possible. This is easier said than done, but a balanced team is going to win out.
- Play your role. It is useless to have a balanced team unless you’re willing to play your role.
Weapon Tips and Tricks
These Valorant tips and tricks deal with the weapons in the game:
- At the beginning of each round, you can buy weapons. This is an important stage. Unless you do your research on the weapons, you’ll be buying at random.
- Figure out what weapons you need for your particular agent before the round starts, this helps you stay organized.
- There are clear advantages of some weapons over others, learn which are the best weapons in the game.
- If you’re playing a role that won’t need a weapon of a specific type, don’t just buy it anyway because you like it. Build your class around your role.
- Try out the weapons in the open range before heading into a match.
Gameplay Tips and Tricks
These are some Valorant tips and tricks for more general gameplay and strategy:
- Learn the maps. This is really important. Valorant has a fairly plain art style, but that hides the pretty well-polished level designed at work here.
- Corners are vital for the way this game is played. Watch them, use them to take out a line of sight. Be wary of corners around where you’re stood.
- Position your abilities. Use your abilities to push players back around corners and dominate more of the middle ground.
- Coordinate pushes with your team. Your abilities alone aren’t enough to defeat an entire team, so some organization goes a long way.
- Fall back if necessary. Falling back for a second to move the enemy into an easily killable position is better than refusing to cede a step and dying there.
Communication is key, these are some Valorant tips and tricks about communicating properly.
- The more communication with your team, the better you’ll do. Communicate everything.
- Communicate your abilities. Make sure everyone is in agreement on when they’ll be used to avoid wasting them.
- Communicate on agent picks, make sure your team works in harmony.
- Use pings. Pings are a great way to communicate quickly and not tie up your comms with simple information.
- You can buy or request weapons from your team if you need to, take advantage of this. Be willing to help teammates in return though.
Other Tips and Tricks
- Take your time. A thought out play will always win over one thrown together in a second. Take your time and think things through.
- Buy armor where you can. These and abilities are the only things that teammates can’t give you, so go for some armor where possible.
- Pick light or heavy armor in response to what is happening in the game, start with light, and adjust when necessary.
- You don’t always have to buy everything initially, pace yourself a bit, and know when to save.
- Get experience with all agents, this is really important. While you’ll want to focus on one, getting experience with all of them helps you predict how enemies will move and use their abilities.
Those are some of the basic Valorant tips and tricks that you’re going to need to know to win games. Beyond this, a more advanced strategy is tied to specific agents, specific maps, and specific weapons. We’ve got some other guides that can help you master those more advanced areas of the game:
- Best Valorant Weapons Guide
- How to Unlock All Valorant Heroes
- Valorant Ranked Mode Explained
- Best Valorant Agents for Beginners
- Which Agent Should I Play?