Valkyrie is the latest Legend to come to Apex with the launch of Season 9. She’s one of the more interesting additions in quite a while. This Legend has unique abilities which have a really high skill level compared with some of the others on the roster. While some abilities are similar to what we’ve seen before, some are completely game changing and can be used in fun ways. This Apex Legends Valkyrie guide covers her abilities, how they work, and how you can use them. If you can master these Valkyrie tips and tricks then it should be considerably easier to get the most out of this Legend.
Valkyrie is a recon Legend, joining Pathfinder and Bloodhound. However, her actual kit can be pretty different. What’s immediately interesting about Valkyrie is that this marks a further combination of Apex Legends and Titanfall. The games are related, but Apex is drawing more and more form its source material. Outside of that, Valkyrie has some of the most interesting kit we’ve seen so far in the game. This is what you need to know:
Apex Legends Valkyrie Abilities
Valkyrie Passive Ability – VTOL Jets
Valkyrie’s passive ability is the VTOL Jets. This is a jetpack that activates when you double jump, it lets you fly. Naturally, this is a pretty major part of her kit. On top of this, she can see all enemies in range when skydiving. They’re highlighted. She can scan survey beacons to get the next location of the ring, as a recon Legend.
This jetpack is one of the more fun elements for playings as Valkyrie. It is really at the heart of her abilities. There is limited fuel for it, which gives it a bit of a downside. However, it does refill fairly quickly by itself. You can go as high or far as you like, provided you have enough fuel. This has some clear utilities, and these are some tips for making the most out of it:
Tips and Tricks
- The jetpack has some utility outside of extended flying, which can make the most of fuel reserves. You can hit it on and off while travelling to add in some larger jumps. This makes you harder to hit, gives you a greater outlook, and lets you go a bit faster.
- You can use it to grab the high ground quickly in a firefight. This can even be helpful for forcing your enemies to reposistion their aim. Many players are pretty acustomed to character hitboxes, so these movemens can be useful.
- It can be used as a panic button in a fire fight when necessary.
- Your jetpack starts recharging after you’ve been on the ground for five seconds, this limits how often you can use it.
- The jetpack is best used in shorter bursts as Valkyrie. If you use all of your fuel, you’re going to be missing a vital part of your kit. Valkyrie might need it to reposition or get a new angle in a firefight, this jetpack being missing can be a real problem.
- If you’re flying quite high, save the last bit of fuel. You can use it just before you hit the ground to avoid the stun of a fall.
- You can only use your cluster missiles while flying, not weapons.
Valkyrie Cluster Missile
Valkyrie’s second ability ties in pretty closely with her passive. She can utilize cluster missiles to fire off rockets while in the air. These both cause damage, and disorientate enemy players. Her cluster missiles are on a 30 second cooldown, but you can launch them at any time even when flying.
These are a cluster of 12 missiles that head towards a targeted area. They will hit in a grid pattern. While the damage isn’t too high, the disorientation effect can be pretty useful. These are some tips for using them properly:
- If you can land a hit with multiple rockets, 25 damage is dealt for the first followed by 3 for each extra rocket.
- The stun effect is substantial, but short, and it doesn’t stack for multiple hits.
- The first rocket will detonate first. So if you’re aiming to disorientate in an active firefight, aim for the first hit.
- The stun effect’s short length means you need to be quick to make the most of it. Ideally, an enemy can assist you in getting the most value from it.
- Experiment with range, as it can go further than you might assume.
Ultimate – Skyward
Skyward is the ultimate ability for Valkyrie. This is an ability that allows you to launch into the air, and then skydive. You can take teammates with you too. Essentially, this is a quick and powerful reposition button. You can use it to get up into the air and away as Valkyrie.
In terms of respoistioning for high ground or take a better posistion, it can’t be beat. It is more helpful than Launch Pad as a tool for moving around. The main downside here is that you are vulnerable while in the air. Just like with the jetpack, this is something enemy teams can capitalize on. These are some tips for this ability:
- The skydive here for Valkyrie works just like when dropping in, but you are the jumpmaster. Your teammates can come with you, or move away if they need to.
- You can go slightly higher than a jump tower, so this is still the most efficent way of reposistioning.
- This tool is great for rotation, but mainly it can be used to resposistion.
- Using it for an offense purpose like repositioning is probably going to be more effective than just using it to rotate. Take the high ground, or get away from a firefight. In the end-game this can be particularly useful.
Valkyrie Tips and Tricks
Valkyrie is one of the more intresting Legends to be added into the game. Her kit is definitely diferent. However, it can be tricky to use right. All of her abilities have the potential to be completely squandered. Unlike most Legends, using them wrong won’t just be a waste, it actively put you in harms way. These are some tips for her overall play style:
- Valkyrie can reposition her entire team with relative ease. If you’re playing as her, you need to be willing to work as part of a coordinated team. Even though Apex is a team game, this Legend in particular isn’t suited for players who want to strike out and attack on their own.
- Flight can be fun but you are rweally very vunerable. This is one of the most important things to keep in mind when using it.
- Valkyrie’s abilities are fun, and different. However, it doesn’t change the core of Apex. The game is about the gunplay working in tandem with Legend abilities. Don’t neglect the weapons.
That’s what you need to know to effectively utilize Valkyrie in Apex Legends. If you’re looking to improve in Season 9, then our other guides can help you out there: