Hotfixes are by their definition small changes to a game that shouldn’t really require patch notes. They are intended to fix bugs or squash problems from other updates. Fortnite hotfixes should just be setting content right. Such as addressing the Turbo building controversy or maybe doing something about the Siphon mechanic. The V10.20.2 Hotfix hasn’t really done that. Instead, it has made some baffling and large changes.
With every update in Season 10, it seems to become harder and harder to follow Epic’s line of thought with Fortnite balancing. Their current additions and changes are making the pre-world cup Baller complaints look minor. With every iteration of the game, there seems to be an unnecessary change to Turbo building, or the siphon, or any other high-level mechanic that just doesn’t need changing. With that in mind, if you want to keep winning games of Fortnite you need to know what has been altered in this latest micro-patch.
While the update itself is buried as a Hotfix, it has some pretty big changes. It is worth going over the full patch notes for the V10.20.2 Hotfix since it has actually had a bigger impact on the meta-game than the last full update, or the last content update for that matter. While Epic’s terminology about which update is which is becoming increasingly convoluted, you still need to keep up to date with the alterations.
V10.20.2 Hotfix Weapon changes
- Combat Shotgun
- Drum Shotgun
- Proximity Launcher
All of these items have been vaulted for one reason or another. The reason why the best choices for Shotguns in the game have been removed is known only to Epic. Without any decent close-range weapons in the game, being a skilled player at this range is going to be more important than ever.
- Suppressed Assault Rifle – This weapon is back! It is nice to have an addition alongside all of these subtractions, but it doesn’t exactly make up for the Shotgun cull that has taken place.
The Automatic Sniper has been buffed slightly to make it more viable. Its damage is now 31/33/35, and 40/42/44.
B.R.U.T.E Changes in V10.20.2 Hotfix
The B.R.U.T.E is the mech from hell that no one likes yet it stays in the game. In keeping with its current status as a punching bag for the Fortnite community, the B.R.U.T.E has had even more adjustments with this hotfix. This marks what feels like the millionth adjustment to this robot. If you’re still trying to counter the B.R.U.T.E, you’ll be happy to know that spawn rates have been significantly reduced.
- Storm Phase 3 – Storm rates are now a 33.3% chance that none will spawn, 33.3% chance that one will spawn. There is also a 33.3% chance that two will spawn.
- Storm Phase 4 – This has been lowered quite a bit. There is now a 50% chance of none spawning and a 50% chance of only one spawning.
- Storm Phase 5 – There is an 83.4% chance of nothing spawning. There is a 16.6% chance that a single mech will still spawn.
- Storm Phase 6 – B.R.U.T.Es are entirely gone in this storm phase!
More tinkering. Given that the B.R.U.T.Es have their availability reduced with every update, the game might technically be free of them in a few weeks time.
Other Changes in the V10.20.2 Hotfix
- Peppers – The duration of the effect from peppers now lasts a minute rather than 20 seconds.
- Retail Row – This area has been altered to reduce the amount of loot. Only 5 obelisks will now spawn. There is a lower chance of rocket launchers and jump pads in there too.
Other big news for the Fortnite is the non-appearance of a crossover that was discovered in the game’s files. After a number of teases and some data mining, fans were pretty certain that a cross over with the movie It: Chapter II was coming. This has failed to materialize yet. However, there is still time so keep an eye out for a Pennywise appearance in the near future. Files pointing towards a future Splatoon x Fortnite event have also been found since the V10.20.2 Hotfix was added. This could be an entirely different sort of event as it mashes up Nintendo’s paintball take on the first-person shooter with Fortnite.
If you want to stay on top of your game despite the constant updates, you should make sure that you’re using the best Fortnite settings, keybinds, and getting the best frames per second possible in the game.