Fortnite Season 10 received its first patch last week with V10.10. However, that wasn’t all of V10.10 it seems. Epic has pushed even more into the game while keeping this batch of content contained as the V10.10 of the game. This is a strange situation, but Fortnite has received a fair bit of fresh content without having a proper patch. The Junk Rift and glitched consumables are the main additions.
A lot of this is down to the B.R.U.T.E mech. The last patch was dominated by an attempt at a patch of the mech, which didn’t go down very well. This patch was singularly devoted to clearing things up before the start of the next competitive season. It may have released a bit early. This content was probably always going to feature in V10.10. However, the V10.10 patch was pushed out a bit early to try to contain the B.R.U.T.E problem.
Despite the problems with the metagame, Season 10 of Fortnite has continued at a breakneck pace. Rifts are popping up all over the place! This sometimes makes it hard for you to even follow all of the changes being made. However, no matter what happens to the map as long as you can aim straight and build quick, you should still manage to get some Victory Royales in with or without the mechs.
Junk Rift in V10.10
This content update to v10.10 has added in a new item called the Junk Rift. Its main purpose is to allow you to weaponize the rifts that have been popping up all over the map. Using this item, you can summon a rift which will drop something heavy out of it, preferably on another player. This is how it works:
- It is a throwable item.
- The Junk Rift will trigger on contact with the ground, another player, or a surface.
- It spawns a big object in the sky that falls down onto the site where the junk rift broke.
- This will damage structures and players that are in the way of its descent.
- The junk rift creates a small shockwave on the ground that damages things in its radius.
- It deals 200 damage if you manage a direct hit.
- The shockwave deals 100 damage.
- All destructible objects are immediately destroyed on impact.
- Drops in stacks of 2, and you can carry up to 4.
- It is of the epic variety.
- The Junk Rift can be found in floor loot, chests, supply drops, and even lamas.
This new item looks to be pretty powerful. However, with something of an indicator you may be able to escape the radius of the attack before it hits. If you stock up on them, these items are going to a powerful tool in the late game, where escape from the radius of them is difficult to escape. Is the junk rift a B.R.U.T.E killer? Not entirely, but you stand a better chance if you have one on your side.
Glitched Consumables and Other Changes
The Junk Rift isn’t the only bit of new content that has come to Fortnite. Glitched consumables have also shown up. These are consumable items that have been infected by the rifts in some way and are now glitching. This is how they work:
- They can be found at the explosion.
- They will gradually change between different forgeable items. When turned into that item, they act as that item did when it was available in game.
- Apples give 5 health.
- Mushrooms give 5 shield.
- Coconuts grant 5 effective health.
- Peppers increase your move speed for a short time.
- Hop Rocks decrease gravity for a short time.
- Shadow Stone did temporarily turn players into a ghost, this has been disabled for now though.
There has also been a small map change added to the game. A rift has gotten to work at the Rec Centre, exploding the building. In its place is a giant crater where you can find the glitched consumables. As a new location, it’s bound to be pretty busy in the game at the moment. If you want to clean up some kills to progress through the Season 10 Battle Pass, this is a great place to do it.