The character classes available to Mordhau players allow for many different types of play, even some that are a bit strange to newcomers. With its setting and unique dueling system, Mordhau is already quite different to actually play than other Battle Royales. However, one class might be familiar to a certain experienced Battle Royale player. If you’re the type of Fortnite player who relies on their lightning fast building skills to stay ahead, being a Mordhau engineer might be for you. You can put those architectural skills to good use, even if the building system isn’t as open as in Fortnite.
Being a Mordhau engineer isn’t useful for every game mode. In quite a few you’re going to struggle to get much done just by building walls and spikes. However, for team events, it can be really useful to have an engineer on your team. Not everyone needs to be an expert dueller, some people need to be playing support.
If you want to be effective as a Mordhau engineer, you need to know what you’re doing. It is a specialized type of player in the game, so having the right loadout and tactics is vital.
What Can You Build?
You can’t build just anything as a Mordhau Engineer. There are only three options open to you but used properly this is all you need. As long as you have a toolbox, you can build these things:
- Wooden Spikes – This uses one of your toolbox charges.
- Wooden Walls – Walls will also use one of your toolbox charges.
- Mounted Crossbow – This will use six toolbox charges.
Players start the game with five toolbox charges, they have the capacity for six charges overall. You can refill these charges every thirty seconds from a supply box. However, you’re not going to need to refill it that often. You can only have six structures on the map at any one time. This is a hard limit. When you place a new wall or spike, the oldest one on the battlefield will disappear as it builds. This means you’ve got to budget your building and work in a small space.
Each structure can be damaged, if it is damaged you can repair it. You need a Blacksmiths Hammer or Mallet to repair, a recent update also includes the Heavy Hand axe which features a hammer on its second side. Walls have around twice as much health as spikes, so they are more effective as a blockage. Each takes some time to build, walls and spikes are pretty quick but a mounted crossbow will take ten seconds.
Load Outs for Mordhau Engineers
Beginner players will have to make do with the pre-made engineer class. However, after grinding to unlock all of the options you can create your own, better, class. When building your own loadout as an engineer in Mordhau, these are the things you should prioritize:
- Smith Perk –This perk is essential. It allows you to repair structures twice as fast. Every engineer uses this perk, so you shouldn’t view it as a boost. You should instead think of not having it as slowing down your repairing considerably.
- Amor– Amor comes with the trade-off of speed for defense. You need to be quick enough to react to changes to your structure as a Mordhau engineer, so heavy armor isn’t a great choice. You should go for medium armor for a nice balance between cost and defense. However, a good helmet is vital. While repairing or building you are an easy target for a skilled archer, a helmet will save you.
Weapons for Mordhau Engineers
- Heavy Hand Axe– This new weapon includes both a blacksmith hammer and a powerful weapon for self-defense. This is the best choice for Mordhau engineers since it stops you from becoming completely defenseless while under attack. It also costs fewer points than the plain blacksmith hammer, so it would be silly to use that one.
- Toolbox – This one should be self-explanatory, you need it to build things.
- Medic Bag –This can be a good option for your third weapon slot. It allows you to assist your teams in ways other than just building. You will need to an adept medic to make the best use out of this, but if you’re playing support it doesn’t hurt to have a medic bag to hand.
- Firebomb –This is a more defensive choice. A firebomb can quickly clear away attackers from your structures, but it is less versatile than the medic bag.
- Smoke Bomb –Your structures as a Mordhau engineer are going to be quite vulnerable to enemy firebombs. A smoke bomb is a great tool for neutralizing this threat. Smoke clears fire really quickly and also attacking players.
Tips and tricks for Mordhau Engineers
With the correct load outs, you’re ready to actually play as a Mordhau engineer. There are some key strategies to keep in mind to be effective.
- Don’t Block Chokepoints – You can use your structures to create chokepoints and give your team a strategic advantage. However, you need to keep your team’s movement in mind as well as the enemies. A chokepoint is not much use if your team is trapped on the other side with the enemy.
- Space Between Structures – You can’t close in an area with only six structures. Even the most talented Mordhau engineers will struggle to make something entirely impenetrable. Instead of trying to build an impenetrable fortress, use your structures to put pressure on the enemy and move your line of control forward.
- Build The Right Things – Walls have twice as much HP as spikes, if you’re trying to zone the enemy out of the way go for walls. Spikes can stop cavalry much easier than a wall. The key to using structures properly is to know when to use each one.
- Mounted Crossbow – This takes longer to build and is harder to use effectively than walls or spikes. Don’t just build one for the sake of it, think it out. It can be used from a safe position to help your team attack while maintaining the defense of your area. When under attack, you can use it as a semi-disposal mounted weapon for another layer of defense.
Mordhau engineers can be an effective part of any team, as long as you play with the right load outs and strategies. Vital to being an effective Mordhau engineer is using the right settings and key binds, be sure to have these in working order before starting out your new career as a medieval architect.