Spellbreak gives players the choice of a number of different character classes. Character classes give you a starting gauntlet of a particular type, but also certain boosts and special abilities. With each increase in rank, you get access to a stat boost or ability that helps you. Pyromancer is one of the most popular Spellbreak character classes. This one is built around the fire Gauntlet. On the surface, it seems geared to dealing high damage and fast. The abilities work a little bit when you pay more attention to zoning and area control.
This guide to the Pyromancer Spellbreak character class covers everything you need to know to optimize your playstyle around these abilities. Character classes do a lot more than just give you a Gauntlet. When used correctly, you can have your entire loadout working to facilitate one style of play. This makes you a much more effective player than just going with random gear.
How to Play Pyromancer – Attacks and Abilities
When you first drop in as a Pyromancer, you have access to a common Fire Gauntlet. Obviously, as the match moves in, you’ll need to replace it with a higher tier Gauntlet. You will always have these two attacks to work with though. Their effectiveness improves as you increase the rarity of your Gauntlet. These are your two attacks that you need to master:
Your standard attack as a Pyromancer in Spellbreak is a fireball. This is a ball of fire that you throw out as a projectile. It does damage, but the actual amount depends on how accurate your shot was. Unlike in an FPS, you’re not punished for penalized if your shot is very close but just misses. At the common level, this attack does 10.4 DPS up to 26 DPS if you hit exactly on target. After the fireball hits, it will create a small pool of fire on the ground for a few seconds. It only costs 20 mana at the basic level, going down to 15 at the Legendary level.
The fireball is a fairly standard projectile attack in Spellbreak. You’re going to be using this as your primary form of attack and firing them off thick and fast. You don’t need to be too careful about your aim. Something which is really important with the Fireball is Gauntlet combos. We’ll go into detail on this below, but fireballs are great for combo effects.
A flamewall is your secondary attack or sorcery in the Pyromancer class. This is a full wall of fire that you put up. It does deal damage to players, 6 per tick specifically. However, it is more useful as an overall utility. The flamewall extends quite far up in the air. You can get over it with runes, but most players will simply be boxed out. This makes it great for zoning.
If you’re in a firefight that’s going wrong, throwing up a flame wall between you and your opponent lets you reposition and possibly heal. If the roles are reversed, you can use it to seal an opponent in with you. This flamewall also blocks ice and toxic projectiles, so it works as a zoning barrier against those too.
The flamewall offers great potential for map control. If you have more than one Pyromancer on your team, then you can lock down a whole area. It does have a 15 second cooldown, but that shouldn’t be too much of a problem.
Pyromancer – Levels and Abilities
That’s how the Pyromancer attacks work, but they get better the longer you survive. Each Spellbreak class gives you a new level and ability each time you reach a new circle. For staying alive to a further round, you get a bonus. It pays off to know these abilities and what extra skills you can take advantage of. These are the abilities for Pyromancer:
- Starting Skill – A direct hit with a Fireball will ignite the player for two seconds. Your explosion radius for fireballs is also increased by 200%. This is basically just making the fireballs more effective. There isn’t much of a utility to this skill, beyond making sure your Fire gauntlet is your main attack.
- Level 2 – You become immune to your own flamewalls and those of your teammates. This makes zoning much safer. However, you also take flight for 2 seconds when you enter one. This is much more useful. When you throw a firewall down now, you can use it to take the high ground and blast off some attacks at an enemy. This makes it great as a panic button, and to use offensively to throw off an enemy and take a better position.
- Level 3 – Your firewall damage doubles. This is a big boost, but extra damage doesn’t really open up many tactical possibilities.
- Level 4 – When your fireballs hit they split into 4 smaller fireballs. Each of these does 5 – 10 damage. This makes your fireball attack considerably harder to avoid. If you’re hitting your shots, then this should spread the dangerous AOE quite a bit further. Even if you have bad aim, you’re going to get more damage in.
Best Runes and Equipment for Pyromancer
Pyromancer is built to make the flame Gauntlet more powerful. However, that doesn’t mean that you can just stand and spam fireballs at your enemies. You need to make use of runes in-game too. Runes are built for giving an advantage with a unique ability, they can be fun on the surface level but lethal once mastered. A lot of them deal with mobility, but there are some offensively focused ones too. If you’re building a loadout for Pyromancer then you need to make sure your Runes will match up and aid the rest of your abilities.
When it comes to mobility, the level 2 ability for flamewalls is your best utility. This isn’t always accessible, and less useful compared to some other classes’ mobility bonuses. This means you can go for the runes that make it easier to move quickly, but they are not as essential. These are the main runes you should look at:
- Wolf’s Blood Rune – The Wolf’s Blood Rune is your best option for playing offensively. This Rune locks you into a brief howling animation, then your run speed increases and you can see the outline of your opponents through terrain and buildings. This rune is useful if you’re using your Pyromancer abilities to go on an all-out offensive.
- Dash Run – This rune sends you dashing in the direction you’re facing. Combine this with a fast fireball getting thrown out and you’ll be able to get a lot of damage down.
- Flight Rune – This one is great for getting around the map fast, along with Teleportation. Either of these will work if you need access to fast speed more so than a utility for combat.
When it comes to the other equipment in the game, you’ve got limited options in the current Spellbreak build. With belts, and other equipment, the higher tier the better. Spellbreak has removed the various options, so just go for the highest possibilities that you can.
Pyromancer Combos Guide
Spellbreak combos are the effect from two different Gauntlet attacks interact to form something new. When you’re searching out Gauntlets, you need to look for ones that compliment the fire Gauntlet. This is our complete guide to Spellbreak Gauntlet combos, but there are some that pair really well with Pyromancer:
- Fire and Toxic – Fire and toxic are a great combo. Fireballs will explode toxic clouds for more damage. The flamewall can also become toxic, and toxic puddles will become fiery with a fireball. This combination lets you add something to most of the attacks you’ll have available.
- Fire and Wind – With the wind gauntlets, you get a whirlwind and wind sheer attacks. The whirlwind can become a fiery tornado, which is a decent boost to damage.
- Fire and Stone – The two stone attacks will become fire infused if they pass through your fireballs. These combos are another good choice.
If you’re looking to improve outside of your character class, then our other guides to Spellbreak should be able to help improve other areas of your gameplay.